At Monkwood, we believe that we should send our students out into the world able and qualified and with basic life skills that will last a lifetime. The Monkwood Pledge encourages students to engage and take part in experiences which will help them to understand the world around them and be able to play a positive role in their community and beyond.
The Monkwood Pledge is designed to make students more resilient, independent, confident and determined.
It is divided into the following three categories, with examples of some of the tasks you may carry out.
- Volunteering and charity
- Appreciating diversity
- Career and aspiration
- Effective communication
- Outside school
- Understanding your roots
About the Pledges
The Monkwood pledge has a Bronze, Silver and Gold award and these are presented throughout the year at awards ceremonies.
Why are we encouraging students to achieve pledges?
- Students will gain a wide variety of new and exciting experiences which will increase self-esteem, raise confidence, make them feel ‘good’ about themselves.
- They inspire students to have drive and tenacity, to stick at a task, to understand how to set, work towards and achieve long term goals.
- Students will gain valuable life experiences and skills to help them progress to further study and an exciting career, putting them on a path to success.
- They help shape students to become more prosperous, well-rounded young adults.
- Above all, pledges help students to have a more valuable and enjoyable experience at school.
Why are Pledges important?
- Students will be provided with new experiences, learn new skills, develop existing knowledge, gain in confidence and grow as an individual and as a ‘team player.’
- Together, the attributes and skills developed throughout the aim to develop students’ aspirations about their future, their abilities and drive them on to great things.
- The Pledge embodies the Way and this is an expectation of our entire school community.
What evidence could you provide?